Ophthalmic simply means the care and treatment of your pets’ eyes. Eye examinations require specific equipment, such as an ophthalmoscope (a magnifying light to look into the eye).
Our veterinarians may also use a special dye called fluorescein (it glows a green/yellow colour under a UV light) to identify damage to the cornea (the clear layer at the front of the eye). Many eye conditions can be treated medically, however, specific conditions may require surgery.
Our practice is fully equipped to offer the following eye surgeries:
- Enucleation (removal) of the eye for severe glaucoma or cancer cases
- Entropion surgery to prevent ocular damage from inward pointing eye lashes/eyelids
- Ectropion surgery to correct outward facing lower eyelids
- Eyelid tumor removal
- Cherry eye surgery to correct a protruding third eyelid in dogs
- Surgery to repair corneal ulcers (ulcers on the eye surface)
Our Kowloon Veterinary Hospital (KVH) vets also provide specialist referrals for eye ultrasound, vision testing and cataract removal.